Functions of SUPARCO
- Undertake the research and pilot studies based on the application of Satellite Remote Sensing (SRS) data and Geographic Information System (GIS) technology to natural resources surveying, mapping, and environmental monitoring.
- Undertake research studies in space and atmospheric sciences including satellite meteorology, satellite radiance, troposphere/stratosphere studies, atmospheric pollution, satellite geodesy and astronomy.
- Undertake research studies relating to the ionosphere and associated radio wave propagation and geomagnetism.
- Development, design, fabrication, assembly, and launching of:
- Communication satellites for voice, video, Direct-to-home TV broadcast services and digital data transfers.
- Earth observation satellites for various scientific/technological applications.
- Sounding rockets for upper and middle atmospheric research.
- Earth observation satellites for various scientific/technological applications
- Establishment and operation of ground receiving stations for:
- Acquisition of SRS data for earth resources surveying, mapping and environmental monitoring studies.
- Acquisition of data for atmospheric/meteorological studies.
- Transmitting and receiving signals from communication satellites.
- Reception of signals from ships, boats and vehicles in distress under the satellite-aided search and rescue COSPAS-SARSAT programme.
- Establishment and operation of facilities for tracking satellites/rockets to determine their orbital parameters, trajectories, etc.
- Development of instrumentation for various scientific and technological experiments.
- Development of software for different functions.
Suparco to provide satellite service to monitor CPEC
ISLAMABAD: The Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission (Suparco) will provide comprehensive satellite service to monitor the $46 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) and address its security concerns.
The president expressed satisfaction that all related institutions were contributing to completion of projects under the CPEC and said the role of Suparco in this regard was of great significance.
He also praised the role of Suparco in the country’s economic progress and development and said the commission needed to brief government departments on its capabilities for optimum utilisation of its expertise in agriculture, water resources, healthcare, education, disaster management and environment monitoring. Suparco should also promote awareness among the public about usefulness of space technology.
The president said the CPEC would pave the way for economic development not only of Pakistan but also of the whole region, adding that immense employment opportunities and other avenues for economic progress would be created.